Visit the Ruins of Chan Chan
Ruins of Chan Chan
Built by the Chimú civilization, Chan Chan is the largest pre-Hispanic city in Latin America founded around 850 AD. The city covers an area of 20 square kilometers and is located 5 km west of Trujillo, just a short bus or taxi ride away. The city that housed more than 30,000 people lasted until 1470 when the Inca Empire conquered the Chimú race; only a few decades before the arrival of Francisco Pizarro and the Spanish conquerors in 1530. The area was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1986.